Saturday, August 01, 2009

Seriously, I think I’m going to stop reading the newspapers. There’s just nothing to read! ‘What?? There’s so much going on!’, you might say. But am I supposed to be excited by any of them? Hotel bombings. Flu patients dying. Monk trialed for fraud. I am so bored! Turn on the news, it’s doom and gloom. Open a newspaper, it’s doom and gloom. On the radio, it’s doom and gloom. I’m not being unconcerned, it’s just the same old depressing news everywhere you turn. Until the editors do something, I’m switching to 8 days. It’s a much nicer world there.

As Singapore turns 44, what beckons for us? What is going to happen to the social fabric of our nation? I recently had the chance to chat with a president scholar and i was very much enlightened by her remarks on empowerment. Similarly, i was reading an article that left a deep impression on me. 'It was people power that propelled Singapore to where it is today, and it will be people power that will spur Singapore to even greater heights. Every person has the ability to contribute, the only question that remains: Will you?'

The highlight of July was definitely my school attachment. For 3 enjoyable weeks, I learned so much at this neighbourhood sch in the west-central. Talking with the students was also so fun, laughed so much till i wanted to cry.

The new semester is starting in about 10 days time! So fast! Have been so busy I didn’t realise 3 months have already passed. As is the usual practice, no more entries until hols. See ya’ll again in Dec.